Yoda Bust(s)

I have been printing Yoda busts on my Rostock Mini.
yoda_on_printer

The first (small) sized one printed very well, but I had some problems when I tried scaling up to 160% size.
largeYodaHead

If you look closely, it has a small discontinuity just above the eyes. (It looks like the top of his head was sliced off and put back on slightly “off”.)
yoda_medium_slice

It looks like one of my axis lost a step, so I ran through various diagnostics (more airflow over the stepper drivers, higher current to the steppers, upgrading my slicing software, etc) and eventually the problem got worse:
lobotomized_yoda

Then I heard some squeaking from my 3D printer and started to move things around manually to isolate it and I realized that my straight rods and linear bearings were dry. The final solution was to oil my straight rod and liner bearings, although I can’t confirm that the upgrade to Slic3r didn’t also help things out. All in all, it only took four tries to get things right:

four_yodas

So now I have a large yoda head to float on my desktop levitation box:
floating_yada_head


0 comments ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment