Now that I have the hardware in place, I’m working on the software side of things. I installed and configured LinuxCNC to control the Mill. (Mach3 was easier to get set up and running initially on the trial license, but they do require you to run windows…and the GUI is a bit garish.) In this video you can see the mill cutting out a circular pocket (in the middle of the air, as I’m testing CAM software, software limits, etc as well.)
You might notice that the belt has been removed between my spindle and spindle motor. When I purchased the machine the spindle motor was at a slight angle, which I traced to a bent spindle motor bracket. As a new bracket costs under $7, I decided to buy a new one instead of trying to bend my existing one back into shape. The replacement bracket appears to be machined slightly better overall anyways. Until it arrives, I don’t have the spindle hooked up.