It’s March 31st, how is Orange County Florida doing with COVID-19?

Graph showing infections & deaths
Despite vaccination efforts, March had a small spike in cases, most likely due to new more contagious variants of the virus (B.1.1.7) and relaxing of social distancing by the population. It appears we may be reaching the top of this small peak as the the 7-day average of new cases (352 per day) is below the peak.  The number of new cases per day is still higher than Aug/Sep of 2020, which was our previous low point.

Continue reading

Another day, another invalid copyright claim on YouTube – RepostNetwork

I just received the following copyright claim on one of my 5 year old videos on YouTube:

invalid copyright claim by RepostNetwork

Luckily, I put the music attribution right at the end of the video. So I know I got the music from, which offers royalty free use by attribution.  I disputed this claim as invalid:

“Dispute submitted
Disputes will be sent to the claimant for review
YouTube does not review Content ID disputes. The claimant now has 30 days to review your dispute. We’ll send you an email to let you know the outcome.”

So, is RepostNetwork going to become the new AdRev or Believe Music?

Salvage 2013 Nissan Leaf Modules – 8 year age capacity test: 75-80%

six nissan leaf modules with capacity test values written on the sides
Back in 2015 I bought a wrecked 2013 Nissan leaf and salvaged it’s 48 battery modules to use in my s-10 electric pickup truck. At the time, the batteries had 18,921 miles from the Leaf on them, (10 quick charges and 775 Level 1/ Level 2 charges) and the leaf BMS reported a capacity of 64 amp hours (98% state of health). [The modules are rated at a minimum of 60 AH new, but most exceed the minimum specifications a bit.]
Continue reading

Ring Motion sensor (Gen 1) falling offline intermittently? Try a battery change.

Gen 1 Ring Motion Sensor
I have a Ring alarm motion sensor that is located far away from the alarm base station. So I installed the Ring z-wave extender about halfway between the motion sensor and the the base station, and everything worked for about 2 years.  However, within the last year (3rd year of operation) the motion sensor would intermittently fall offline.  Sometimes simply triggering it would bring it online, other times it would come back online on its own, and other times I had to unplug and re-plug the z-wave extender box to get it to come back online.

Continue reading

It’s February 1st 2021, how is Orange County Florida doing with Covid-19?


The 7-day average of new cases (628 per day) has fallen from the post Holiday peak, and is comparable to that of the summer surge. I am hopeful that this decline will continue.

The number of deaths per day are going up, but as physicians have learned better ways to treat patients we are not yet having as many deaths as in the summer peak.
In December 2020, Orange County Florida had an average of 3.35 covid-19 deaths per day (104 total deaths). In January 2021, the average had risen to 6.7 deaths per day (208 total deaths). The summer peak (June 22nd 2020 to July 22nd, 2020)  had 6.97 average deaths per day (223 total deaths).

In the state of Florida overall, the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 has started to decline, indicating that we may be close to the peak of deaths.
Continue reading

2 year Grid-Tie Solar System report

We have had our Grid-Tie solar system installed for a little over two years.

In 2020 (January 13th,2020 through January 12 2021) we used 15,866 kWh of power, while our solar system generated 14,877 kWh or 93.7% of our total usage.  We purchased 989 kWh from Duke Energy for $269.47 over the year of which $136.80 was the mandatory connection charge.

93.7% of energy produced by solar

[In 2019 and 2018 we used 16,695 kWh and 16,695 kWh, so our overall usage was slightly lower than in past years, mostly due to the fact that we did a lot less commuting in the electric vehicles in 2020….something was different after March…..]

Significant decrease in 2020 transportation energy usage...

Cost Calculations

We saved $1,958 in 2020 (compared to $1,886 in 2019). Given the average yearly savings of $1,922 on our electric bill, the system will pay for itself after 9 total years of operation. (After that, any savings are pure profit.)  As this calculation includes two years worth of data, I feel that it is slightly more accurate than the 9.19 year payback period I calculated last year.